Friday, February 5, 2010

Can you believe people really say these things...

Have you ever found yourself pointing things out to others that you felt they need to know. After which you think, maybe I shouldn't said that. As a mom I find myself doing the opposite, I try to mind my own business. Since I've had a baby more people stop and talk to me in the most random places. For the most part I don't mind a little quick conversation, you know about being a mom, my baby carrier and the weather. What I do mind is people who feel they have to give me parenting advice, like I asked for it.


Example:

I was in Baker CA, at a popular restaurant enjoying my strawberry milkshake with my 10 month old son Beau. Mind you I had stopped especially for this milkshake. I was waiting for the rest of my order and gave Beau a taste of the straw from the shake, which he LOVED. As I gave him the sip I could feel eyes watching me. The employees smiled and continued to coo at Beau from across the counter. "Order up." I walk to the counter to get my food, the lady behind the counter smiles, I smile back and she says "You really shouldn't give you baby milkshake, I know he really likes it, but you are going to give him pneumonia." I looked at her with a puzzled look. She continues "I gave my baby ice and she got really sick with pneumonia..." I really didn't know how to respond. I walked away in shock. Really lady that is the advice you needed to give me. I don't want to question my parenting decisions because some random person in a fast food joint said so.

If it is raining and I am inside of the supermarket please DO NOT tell me that my son needs to be wearing a hat. I am inside for goodness sakes, are you wearing your hat? On that note, why do I feel I have to justify myself when this perfect stranger says this to me. I now chose to smile, nod and say nothing. The damn hat is always in my pocket or purse anyway.

I am sure I am not the only person in the world this happens to and I am sure you have more outrageous stories. I would love to hear them.

Happy Weekend -Mama B

1 comment:

  1. Uninvited advice is just that. Sometimes people just feel like they have to say something.I know exactly what you're talking about.

    It's kind of like when you're in line at the grocery store. In your cart there is lettuce, taco seasoning, ground beef, taco shells and cheese. Then some idiot is like "looks like some one is making tacos!" Then you just stare at them like 'look at my face. Can't you tell I'm not listening?'

    This is different of course because it's about your son. When people use "you should(n't)" statements, they just want to feel important and expect appreciation for their advice. It's like making a connection with another human being and attempting to establish that they are the Alpha male in this conversation. Oh human behavior....

    When it comes to children, most people want to believe that they are the experts. I think you are a very good mother and that you make the best choices for Beau. Everyone who knows you knows this. And I know that you know this. You shouldn't have to defend yourself. I think the best thing you can do is what you're doing. Smile and nod. They obviously want some sort of a reaction out of you. Just don't give them one:)
    Keep up the good work, Bree! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

The Red Pump Project